What are the chances?

Feature Requests

Found 30 posts - Go to Last Post

So what are the chances that we can get a set of badges that would be similar to the 360 Voice Genre Badge Calculator?
So what are the chances that we can get a set of badges that would be similar to the 360 Voice Genre Badge Calculator?
Originally Posted by MarvzMitts
It sometimes seems like Fshguy would be interested in it. Of course, it would be up to Eric, but, who would maintain them?

Who would add games, remove games, adjust games, decide which games fit where?
It sometimes seems like Fshguy would be interested in it. Of course, it would be up to Eric, but, who would maintain them?

Who would add games, remove games, adjust games, decide which games fit where?
Originally Posted by futiles
I know what you're saying, but the whole process seems like more of a headache, there would be more people benefiting. But there are so many freaking whiners out there that there is not any sufficient system that will make everybody happy.

Don't get me wrong, the concept of genre badges is nice...
I know what you're saying, but the whole process seems like more of a headache, there would be more people benefiting. But there are so many freaking whiners out there that there is not any sufficient system that will make everybody happy.

Originally Posted by Fshguy
Well, you know I have always been a fan of the "F you" mentality of genre badges. I made plenty of arguments for dynamic genres that allowed every game in, no matter what. But, what group of individuals would maintain it? Genres, by themselves, usually requires a team to maintain, in addition to all other badges.
Well, you know I have always been a fan of the "F you" mentality of genre badges. I made plenty of arguments for dynamic genres that allowed every game in, no matter what. But, what group of individuals would maintain it? Genres, by themselves, usually requires a team to maintain, in addition to all other badges.
Exactly my point...
Like a badge/genre team? Never gonna happen.
Originally Posted by Hotdogmcgee
I'd do it. Count me in,
I'd do it. Count me in,
Originally Posted by porschephiliac
It's not a lack of volunteers keeping it from happening.

I think the concept is actually pretty plain and simple and you are just over thinking it. Why not just keep it simple. Take the base game for the concept of what it is and don't branch off into sub genres. We could have badge and games assigned to the bare minimum.

Example take the major genres that everyone knows and can easily identify: FSP, TPS, Sandbox, Puzzle, Sports, Racers, Fighters, Survival Horror, RPG, SHUMP, Odd Ball, Action, Retro and Simulation. Those would be the Major genres any sub genres could be added to the games description but it would not reflect for the badge.

Example: Any Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy WRPG and JRPG are still just RPG.
Poker games are considered Sports now days so put it in Sports. While Magic the Gathering would go into OddBall.
Fallout is primarily and RPG so it would go to RPG.
Original port games of old games like Pac-Man would obviously be Retro but Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures is a new update to the game it would be Action.

Just my thoughts on this.
I think the concept is actually pretty plain and simple and you are just over thinking it. Why not just keep it simple. Take the base game for the concept of what it is and don't branch off into sub genres. We could have badge and games assigned to the bare minimum.

Example take the major genres that everyone knows and can easily identify: FSP, TPS, Sandbox, Puzzle, Sports, Racers, Fighters, Survival Horror, RPG, SHUMP, Odd Ball, Action, Retro and Simulation. Those would be the Major genres any sub genres could be added to the games description but it would not reflect for the badge.

Example: Any Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy WRPG and JRPG are still just RPG.
Poker games are considered Sports now days so put it in Sports. While Magic the Gathering would go into OddBall.
Fallout is primarily and RPG so it would go to RPG.
Original port games of old games like Pac-Man would obviously be Retro but Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures is a new update to the game it would be Action.

Just my thoughts on this.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
So, the leveling up, experience, set collection, gear improvement, and various other RPG aspects of MtG don't count?

What about Stealth Games? Would the Arkham series be split then? Arkham Asylum would be action but Arkham City would be sandbox by your categories.

Completable games vs glitched games vs discontinued games?

Why does Survival Horror get a genre? Is it Survival And Horror, Survival Or Horror, or Something Else?

Who decides?

These are all actual questions that have come up with genres, and any answer you give is wrong to someone.

Which is why, see my above statement about "F You" method of dynamic genres...

You can say Fsh and I are over thinking it, and maybe we are. Or, maybe we have a combined almost 10 years of dealing with genres, badges, and the resulting user comments/complaints...
I hate the 360voice genre badges. Not because I don't like earning badges, but because games should never be removed from the badges. NBA 2K6 is suddenly NOT a sports game because someone decides it's too old? Fuck that.
I hate the 360voice genre badges. Not because I don't like earning badges, but because games should never be removed from the badges. NBA 2K6 is suddenly NOT a sports game because someone decides it's too old? Fuck that.
Originally Posted by Kaens
I agree with you, and honestly, I think my proposal for wholesale change to their genre system was gaining ground among the staff. But, then the site was wholesale killed.

My goal was every game in a genre, and even if it got to be too old, or broken, or whatever, it could still count.

Oh well...
So, the leveling up, experience, set collection, gear improvement, and various other RPG aspects of MtG don't count?

What about Stealth Games? Would the Arkham series be split then? Arkham Asylum would be action but Arkham City would be sandbox by your categories.

Completable games vs glitched games vs discontinued games?

Why does Survival Horror get a genre? Is it Survival And Horror, Survival Or Horror, or Something Else?

Who decides?

These are all actual questions that have come up with genres, and any answer you give is wrong to someone.

Which is why, see my above statement about "F You" method of dynamic genres...

You can say Fsh and I are over thinking it, and maybe we are. Or, maybe we have a combined almost 10 years of dealing with genres, badges, and the resulting user comments/complaints...
The simple answer is yes. Keep it simple. It's like I said. If the core game is Stealth then put it into stealth or action. My samples of genres are not be all end all. I was just throwing out genres off the top of my head. So I'm cool with Resident Evil being just action and the sub genre being Survival Horror and if Batman AA is Action and Batman AC is puzzle or RPG then split them, no rules say that the same series always has to be in the same genre, yes there are exceptions though. You didn't even give that a chance, you just tried to tear it apart. Besides we're arguing about something that probably wont happen or if it does, won't happen for quite some time.
The simple answer is yes. Keep it simple. It's like I said. If the core game is Stealth then put it into stealth or action. My samples of genres are not be all end all. I was just throwing out genres off the top of my head. So I'm cool with Resident Evil being just action and the sub genre being Survival Horror and if Batman AA is Action and Batman AC is puzzle or RPG then split them, no rules say that the same series always has to be in the same genre, yes there are exceptions though. You didn't even give that a chance, you just tried to tear it apart. Besides we're arguing about something that probably wont happen or if it does, won't happen for quite some time.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Actually, I gave you real world examples of what we got.
My point exactly...
This right here is what stopped me from caring about maintaining my badges on 360v. I hated the fact that I kept losing tiers in the genre for the badge because one or more games got removed. I pretty much said fuck it I don't care anymore.
I like the idea of all games being included and never taking them out! how many people had 100% genre completion anyway?

some one should do a poll to see what the interest is around here for the genre badges to be added to this site. Polls could be used in many ways for the genre badges...could be fun!

Majority rules, let the whiners whine, site discussion is always good
This right here is what stopped me from caring about maintaining my badges on 360v. I hated the fact that I kept losing tiers in the genre for the badge because one or more games got removed. I pretty much said fuck it I don't care anymore.
Originally Posted by Monky Spit
The original intent of the genre badges was to represent the genres that a user played the most per Fatty Chubs. Aside from that, there's always the games that get delisted or have a lot of unobtainables. So how do you be fair to the people that are newer?

And at the end of the day, how do you balance a bunch of new gaming badges against the site/social badges... I'm sure people hate both kinds of badges...
The original intent of the genre badges was to represent the genres that a user played the most per Fatty Chubs. Aside from that, there's always the games that get delisted or have a lot of unobtainables. So how do you be fair to the people that are newer?

And at the end of the day, how do you balance a bunch of new gaming badges against the site/social badges... I'm sure people hate both kinds of badges...
Dynamic genres...
I thought that the splits at 360V were valid and they should be the same here. The badge team did a great job there. There were a lot of genres and if anything we should just add them one at a time here. No need to kill ourselves figuring it out. Put in the games that are uncompleted in as well. If the max gamerscore is 950 instead of 1000 now. then 950 it is. Obviously Eric will need to be on board for this to happen on any kind of level.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account