Found 15 posts - Go to Last Post

Not really, but since I have an interest in attending culinary school in the future, I am curious as to what your favorite meal is...Either to eat or cook...or both. Also, share any cooking secrets you know, plzkthnx.

My personal favorite to eat is French onion soup. It has to be good, though. My favorite ones generally are cooked with three kinds of alcohol and fresh herbs (preferably thyme). And for the love of GOD!!! Make sure the cruton is crispy and the cheese is properly broiled.

I also love making French onion soup...but my favorite is sirloin with a red-wine/shallot sauce, walnuts, roquefort cheese and chives. Also I make rad chocolate chip cookies. Basically, the secret to long-lasting soft cookies is vanilla jello pudding mix. Just open the packet into your dough and add an extra egg. The moisture will keep them fresh-tasting and soft for DAYS.
Thanks for the cookie tip. My boss doubles the baking soda and adds 1/4 more flour to make her cookies fluffier. I don't really know why they come out fluffier, but her cookies are kickass.

I really love pasta. A penne in vodka sauce really pleases me. My mum makes excellent sauces for pasta.

I don't really cook too much myself, besides reheating things or making something "instantly." I want to learn to cook more things though.
You're welcome!

Just make sure it's one of those small 3.4 oz boxes.

I would love to learn how to make vodka sauce!! I love bottled stuff, but I know it's not the same...ever. Does it take her a long time to make?

I have to say...there is NOTHING wrong with insta-soup/oatmeal. Whatever's clever. *nod*
nothing can go wrong with steak and chips mmmmmm. but i also like pasta with sauce, like carbonara.
I'm really into Mexican food, like burritos and tortillas and stuff like that.

My mom makes a mean Chili Verde. (I know I live in England, but because of my mom being American, I've always used mom instead of mum)
As Simon will tell you (being the piss taker he is... o_O), I've been known to cook a damned good Chili Con Carne myself. With or without Kidney beans.

I've also worked in pro kitchens and even a Michelin star kitchen, for my uni course. Which is strangely Hotel Management, but requires a lot of work in pro kitchens. Fun fun.

I've also been taught by my Grandma (Who's arguably the best cook ever. ever.) to cook some of the old Chinese dishes, and some Jamaican food too. All good fun. MY latest project will probably be to learn about Japanese food, as I'm a huge fan of it!

I am working on this... Vodka sauce... right now... o_O Sounds great!

Billy: I WILL make you my chili. Meh.
I've been known to cook a damned good Chili Con Carne myself. With or without Kidney beans.
Originally Posted by Killak
I want some of this chili... Can I has some?

I'm into Chinese food too, but I've branched into some of the less obvious forms of oriental food (like Vietnamese, there's an awesome Vietnamese restaurant in London that is always fully booked but the food is amazing.)

I really should learn to cook. I was going to learn to make sushi from a book that my mom got out of a library for me, but I never got round to actually reading it (I was making my way through a lot of David Gemmel's stuff at the time, so had no time for reading about food).
Erikson owns Gemmel.

Anyway, back on topic... Big Grin

I CAN make sushi... but I've only done it properly once myself. Made a California roll. Gotta love the Salmon. My Grandma teachin me chinese food makes sense, considering she's half Hong Hongian (o_O) and half Singaporian.

EDIT: Yes you may have some Chili.
I have screen shotted that so that we know, when we meet, you're going to make me some chili.
I have screen shotted that so that we know, when we meet, you're going to make me some chili.
Originally Posted by The Archanist
Meh... doesn't take very long, and I LOVE cooking, so I won't break that promise, mate... Billy don't like spice much, I think... so I may have to tone it down if you're both present...

o_O
What! Spice is awesome, how can Billy not enjoy the taste of your mouth on fire?

I'm into spice since my dad makes some Thai Chicken Curry that is stupidly hot.
Yeah... I love spice. They made a sauce called "Extra Extra Hot" at Nandos. The Manager nearly freaked out when I said it was nice, and I couldn't wait for the next level up. Really, it tasted DAMN GOOD! Just not excessively spicy like Jamaican spice. Once you've damned well eaten a scotch bonnet pepper, you know the human limit of spice... and Nando's is NOT that...

Epicness.
Yeah... I love spice. They made a sauce called "Extra Extra Hot" at Nandos. The Manager nearly freaked out when I said it was nice, and I couldn't wait for the next level up. Really, it tasted DAMN GOOD! Just not excessively spicy like Jamaican spice. Once you've damned well eaten a scotch bonnet pepper, you know the human limit of spice... and Nando's is NOT that...

Epicness.
Originally Posted by Killak
Some of my friends went mental when I drank just pure Extra Hot sauce (which is the hottest we get at my local Nandos). They just don't expect someone to be able to do that sort of thing.
Haha! That's SO easy! Your friends must be COMPLETE wusses!
There just English people who have no understanding of what spicy taste is.

Me and my Asian friends laugh when they say that something is too hot.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account