Challenge What Challenge version 2.0?

Gaming Chat

Found 19 posts - Go to Last Post

Should GTN host a second monthly "Challenge, What Challenge?" Badge Challenge.

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 21 (63.64%) Yes

× 12 (36.36%) No

• Added 09-15-2015 10:22 PM
  • 33 votes
I have had a few members ask about having a second monthly challenge for the last two weeks of the month to have a chance to win the "Challenge, What Challenge" badge as it may be more convenient for some members? I was against this idea at first, I mean what's really the difference between the first two weeks of a month then the last two weeks? That and will it over saturate the badge for the community? I'm still on the fence about this. I come to you the community to help answer this question:

Should GTN host a second Monthly competition for this badge? Of course you have to know that if this does get the votes, there will be a slightly different spin on it.

So please vote and I would love to hear any argument for or against and/or your ideas on this.
I think it's fine the way it is and I don't have the badge yet.
If it was for a different badge, then yes. It's what a challenge should be competitive. Now say a year from now if the same 2-3 people continue to win then possibly changes could be looked into at that time.
The difference could very well be work related. There are many jobs that are 2-on/2-off, so, you may be eliminating people from the challenge unintentionally. I would say, instead of having 2 contests every month, alternate front/back.

Jan-Mar-May-July-Sept-Nov - Front of the month
Feb-Apr-Jun-Aug-Oct-Dec - Back of the month

Same number of badges awarded, spreads it around for work/life schedules (And, Christmas would be in the challenge every year, so, those freshly opened games would count...)
I voted no for a second challenge, but you might want to expand the current one to a full month rather than 2 weeks.

Some people have jobs with a very tight cycle (I am one of them). First two weeks are exhaustive at work, usually resulting in no playing for me. The only chance I had was last August when I was unexpected at home.

Edit: Maybe creating 3 badges?
Gold: first place
Silver: Second place
Bronze: Third place

That way it stays interesting for those who already earned the (gold) badge. It might take a few tries too to exactly land on place 2 & 3.
I would say, instead of having 2 contests every month, alternate front/back.

Same number of badges awarded, spreads it around for work/life schedules (And, Christmas would be in the challenge every year, so, those freshly opened games would count...)
Originally Posted by futiles
I like this it make it so you actually have to pay attention, like a real contest, so if you really want the badge make sure you saving those easier games for that time frame.
The difference could very well be work related. There are many jobs that are 2-on/2-off, so, you may be eliminating people from the challenge unintentionally. I would say, instead of having 2 contests every month, alternate front/back.

I like this it make it so you actually have to pay attention, like a real contest, so if you really want the badge make sure you saving those easier games for that time frame.
Originally Posted by Homeless Messia

This idea has merit, and intrigues me very much.. What if the even months were for straight gamerscore and the odd months would be for achievement count, regardless of gamerscore?
This idea has merit, and intrigues me very much.. What if the even months were for straight gamerscore and the odd months would be for achievement count, regardless of gamerscore?
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Those are two very different types of contests, though, and if front of the month is always one type, and back of the month is always another, you have kind of eliminated what backs alternating weeks attractive.

Instead, first half the year one type, second half the other, that way gamerscore gets 3 months front and back, while achievements gets 3 months front and back.
I voted no for a second challenge, but you might want to expand the current one to a full month rather than 2 weeks.

Some people have jobs with a very tight cycle (I am one of them). First two weeks are exhaustive at work, usually resulting in no playing for me. The only chance I had was last August when I was unexpected at home.

Edit: Maybe creating 3 badges?
Gold: first place
Silver: Second place
Bronze: Third place

That way it stays interesting for those who already earned the (gold) badge. It might take a few tries too to exactly land on place 2 & 3.
Originally Posted by Musquito
Well, I like the concept, but I'd be worried about the execution how would it look? Say you get a 3rd place badge then second place badge do you add the points and upgrade the badge or get a whole different badge? Thus giving three separate badges?

I like the concept of one ultimate winner, but I will keep this in mind, also be aware that it's Eric who has the final say on badges.
Those are two very different types of contests, though, and if front of the month is always one type, and back of the month is always another, you have kind of eliminated what backs alternating weeks attractive.

Instead, first half the year one type, second half the other, that way gamerscore gets 3 months front and back, while achievements gets 3 months front and back.
Ok I like your ideas, and your reasoning, I'm a visual kind of guy so I laid out these options just to see what these would look like and maybe find some potential problems. I may not have got all the options but I think I got most of them. The only problem I really see is Options 2, 5, 6 and 7 all give no breaks between the months of December and January. Whereas Options 3, 4, will go no breaks what so ever. Should I then change or omit a December challenge to give a break or make the December challenge something truly special and unique?

Bare in mind this is all hypothetical and we are just looking at options....lol.. no pun intended.

Option #1
Keep it as is.

Option #2
Alternate between the first and second halves of the month pure GS.
Jan. 1-14 GS
*Feb. 15-28 GS
March 1-14 GS
April 18-30 GS
May 1-14 GS
June 18-30 GS
July 1-14 GS
August 18-31 GS
Sept. 1-14 GS
Oct. 18-31 GS
Nov. 1-14 GS
Dec. 18-31 GS

Option #3
Make a second separate contest as stated. Second half of the months GS only.

Option #4
Make a second separate contest as stated. Second half of the months Achievements only.

Option #5
Divide the year in half alternating between Pure GS and achievements
Jan. 1-14 GS
Feb. 1-14 GS
March 1-14 GS
April 1-14 GS
May 1-14 GS
June 1-14 GS
July 18-31 Achievements Non GS
August 18-31 Achievements Non GS
Sept. 17-30 Achievements Non GS
Oct. 18-31 Achievements Non GS
Nov. 17-30 Achievements Non GS
Dec. 18-31 Achievements Non GS

Option #6
Divide the year in half alternating the first and second halves of the month and keep it Pure GS only.
Jan. 1-14 GS
Feb. 1-14 GS
March 1-14 GS
April 1-14 GS
May 1-14 GS
June 1-14 GS
July 18-31 GS
August 18-31 GS
Sept. 17-30 GS
Oct. 18-31 GS
Nov. 17-30 GS
Dec. 18-31 GS

Option #7
Alternate between the first and second halves of the month between Pure GS and Achievements.
Jan. 1-14 GS
*Feb. 15-28 Achievements Non GS
March 1-14 GS
April 18-30 Achievements Non GS
May 1-14 GS
June 18-30 Achievements Non GS
July 1-14 GS
Sept. 1-14 GS
Nov. 1-14 GS

(* adj. for leap years)
Well, I like the concept, but I'd be worried about the execution how would it look? Say you get a 3rd place badge then second place badge do you add the points and upgrade the badge or get a whole different badge? Thus giving three separate badges?

I like the concept of one ultimate winner, but I will keep this in mind, also be aware that it's Eric who has the final say on badges.
Three separate badges. With staggered points.

If you win the bronze medal at this olympics, and silver in 4 years, you don't turn in your bronze to get a silver, you have one of each.
Ok I like your ideas, and your reasoning, I'm a visual kind of guy so I laid out these options just to see what these would look like and maybe find some potential problems. I may not have got all the options but I think I got most of them. The only problem I really see is Options 2, 5, 6 and 7 all give no breaks between the months of December and January. Whereas Options 3, 4, will go no breaks what so ever. Should I then change or omit a December challenge to give a break or make the December challenge something truly special and unique?

Bare in mind this is all hypothetical and we are just looking at options....lol.. no pun intended.

Option #1
Keep it as is.

Option #2
Alternate between the first and second halves of the month pure GS.
Jan. 1-14 GS
*Feb. 15-28 GS
March 1-14 GS
April 18-30 GS
May 1-14 GS
June 18-30 GS
July 1-14 GS
August 18-31 GS
Sept. 1-14 GS
Oct. 18-31 GS
Nov. 1-14 GS
Dec. 18-31 GS

Option #3
Make a second separate contest as stated. Second half of the months GS only.

Option #4
Make a second separate contest as stated. Second half of the months Achievements only.

Option #5
Divide the year in half alternating between Pure GS and achievements
Jan. 1-14 GS
Feb. 1-14 GS
March 1-14 GS
April 1-14 GS
May 1-14 GS
June 1-14 GS
July 18-31 Achievements Non GS
Sept. 17-30 Achievements Non GS
Nov. 17-30 Achievements Non GS

Option #6
Divide the year in half alternating the first and second halves of the month and keep it Pure GS only.
Jan. 1-14 GS
Feb. 1-14 GS
March 1-14 GS
April 1-14 GS
May 1-14 GS
June 1-14 GS
July 18-31 GS
August 18-31 GS
Sept. 17-30 GS
Oct. 18-31 GS
Nov. 17-30 GS
Dec. 18-31 GS

Option #7
Alternate between the first and second halves of the month between Pure GS and Achievements.
Jan. 1-14 GS
March 1-14 GS
May 1-14 GS
July 1-14 GS
Sept. 1-14 GS
Nov. 1-14 GS

(* adj. for leap years)
I think you are starting to make it overly complicated on yourself.
I think you are starting to make it overly complicated on yourself.
You may be right, I'm just trying to get everyone covered...lol.. Ok time to sit in the thinking chair and think, think...ok ok I'll stop. thanks though or those of you have given input.

3 separate badges, can be the same picture badge with 3 different colours. You can earn the3 badges respectively by exactly land on spot 1, spot 2 or spot 3.

I agree and totally love the idea to split up the year.

Option #7
Jan. 1-14 GS
March 1-14 GS
May 1-14 GS
July 1-14 GS
Sept. 1-14 GS
Nov. 1-14 GS

(* adj. for leap years)
I like option 7 the most, but I would change the order so that February is in the first half of the month (1-15) rather than the last (16-28) like this:
Jan. 16-31 GS
*Feb. 1-15 Achievements Non GS
March 16-31 GS
April 1-15 Achievements Non GS
May 16-31 GS
June 1-15 Achievements Non GS
July 16-31 GS
August 1-15 Achievements Non GS
Sept. 16-30 GS
Oct. 1-15 Achievements Non GS
Nov. 16-30 GS
Dec. 1-15 Achievements Non GS

And look at that it fixes the holidays periods in December too. Smile
Last edited 09-17-2015 at 07:30 AM by Musquito.
3 separate badges, can be the same picture badge with 3 different colours. You can earn the3 badges respectively by exactly land on spot 1, spot 2 or spot 3.

I agree and totally love the idea to split up the year.

I like option 7 the most, but I would change the order so that February is in the first half of the month (1-15) rather than the last (16-28) like this:
Jan. 16-31 GS
*Feb. 1-15 Achievements Non GS
March 16-31 GS
April 1-15 Achievements Non GS
May 16-31 GS
June 1-15 Achievements Non GS
July 16-31 GS
August 1-15 Achievements Non GS
Sept. 16-30 GS
Oct. 1-15 Achievements Non GS
Nov. 16-30 GS
Dec. 1-15 Achievements Non GS

And look at that it fixes the holidays periods in December too. Smile
That means you don't like my idea.
That means you don't like my idea.
That is a very wrong conclusion to make. I said I liked option 7 the most, which does not automatically apply that I hate the other options.
That is a very wrong conclusion to make. I said I liked option 7 the most, which does not automatically apply that I hate the other options.
Who said hate? You said you loved my suggestion, then picked the option I specifically said would be a poor idea as your favorite.
Who said hate? You said you loved my suggestion, then picked the option I specifically said would be a poor idea as your favorite.
Freedom of speech & opinion. Smile

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account