Found 19 posts - Go to Last Post

Planned
Can we have an option to embed stats elsewhere. I want to create a gaming section on my personal site and thought it'd be cool to have a few stats displayed.

I could have missed this feature but if you could they be made and possible have an auto link to ths site or a users profile that a user cannot remove...similar to amazon's banner on associate programme.
I plan on adding a gamercard creator tool so you can take your stats with you and personalize the design to your liking. Most people use them as their forum signature on other sites, but you could certainly use it on your personal site or blog too.

I'm hoping to have the Gamercard tool ready to go by early March.
Won't a gamercard tool add to a financial cost and what led to the end of MGC?
Won't a gamercard tool add to a financial cost and what led to the end of MGC?
Originally Posted by dieselv2
I think that was partly to the number of cards MGC was creating, I though they had up to a million of them or something. But they really didn't have much else with the site.
I think that was partly to the number of cards MGC was creating, I though they had up to a million of them or something. But they really didn't have much else with the site.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
You're right, and that was one of my initial concerns, but I don't see us hitting a million gamers anytime soon.

MGC :cry:
I plan on adding a gamercard creator tool so you can take your stats with you and personalize the design to your liking. Most people use them as their forum signature on other sites, but you could certainly use it on your personal site or blog too.

I'm hoping to have the Gamercard tool ready to go by early March.
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
Instead of making the gamercards on the site itself, why not offer a set of APIs to allow users to make their own cards and site info for you?

You know, like this request...
Instead of making the gamercards on the site itself, why not offer a set of APIs to allow users to make their own cards and site info for you?

You know, like this request...
Originally Posted by futiles
The concern is every time that card is shown the apis are hit, making Eric's bill go up with no financial return. Now you certainly could argue it's advertising and should drive traffic to the site, maybe, maybe not.
The concern is every time that card is shown the apis are hit, making Eric's bill go up with no financial return. Now you certainly could argue it's advertising and should drive traffic to the site, maybe, maybe not.
Originally Posted by Kaens
That's a valid concern, but, if he is hosting the cards himself, the site would be getting the same hit, though. But, an API opens it to the create talents of the masses.
That's a valid concern, but, if he is hosting the cards himself, the site would be getting the same hit, though. But, an API opens it to the create talents of the masses.
We really don't have the development resources available to build an API at this point. I'm not ruling it out though. Perhaps Fshguy could share his expertise in that area since he ran the 360voice API.
We really don't have the development resources available to build an API at this point. I'm not ruling it out though. Perhaps Fshguy could share his expertise in that area since he ran the 360voice API.
Originally Posted by GTN Eric
I always kind of hoped you would task Fshguy to put something together...

Smile
Haha

The problem with APIs is they can be open to abuse and people pulling requests although couldnt you do plans?

10 requests per day -FREE
50 requests per day- $5.99
100 requests per day - $9.99

Etc. You could then garner an income from them.
Haha

The problem with APIs is they can be open to abuse and people pulling requests although couldnt you do plans?

10 requests per day -FREE
50 requests per day- $5.99
100 requests per day - $9.99

Etc. You could then garner an income from them.
Most that I have seen usually do a per hour setup, but yeah, I could see a per hour threshold.
To my knowledge all of the APIs available and whoever used them never really caused a drain on the servers. So I don't feel there's a need to meter them from a performance aspect. Would there be any money in hosting APIs, that might be debatable, the overhead of metering/billing, etc. might not be worth the time and effort.

So, what kind of stats would you like to see available for a gamercard?
I liked the following on 360v if they could be replicated and made modern haha

I did look for more but it seems the other sites hosting them are offline now Frown

I like TA's use of the completion rate of last games played

I'd like a merge of the two if we could. I know it'd be a big card, but I have a website to fill, unless you show me how to use API's haha
I liked the following on 360v if they could be replicated and made modern haha

I did look for more but it seems the other sites hosting them are offline now Frown

I like TA's use of the completion rate of last games played

I'd like a merge of the two if we could. I know it'd be a big card, but I have a website to fill, unless you show me how to use API's haha

I would happily share some code for using APIs. I am comfortable with XML and .json, both work easily with PHP.

I would like to see GTN specific info available, too. Make use of the data about achievement rarity. Collections. Reviews. Basically, anything that is site created and cultivated would be interesting. I could see tools for most recent reviews, or all reviews by a user, or every collection containing a game, or every collection by a user, rarity tracking and history...

Then, once those are available, contests based around that info.
I would happily share some code for using APIs. I am comfortable with XML and .json, both work easily with PHP.

I would like to see GTN specific info available, too. Make use of the data about achievement rarity. Collections. Reviews. Basically, anything that is site created and cultivated would be interesting. I could see tools for most recent reviews, or all reviews by a user, or every collection containing a game, or every collection by a user, rarity tracking and history...

Then, once those are available, contests based around that info.
All we would need is the api ninja and samurai badges haha
All we would need is the api ninja and samurai badges haha
Those actually were some of the most difficult to get...
Those actually were some of the most difficult to get...
I thought they were pretty easy... One of the reasons I created the Badge Calculator... That and I was too lazy to cut and paste my stats into a spreadsheet all of the time...
I thought they were pretty easy... One of the reasons I created the Badge Calculator... That and I was too lazy to cut and paste my stats into a spreadsheet all of the time...
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I actually found them to be easier than I expected, but, they had some of the smallest distribution, even after EOL shenanigans...

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account