Important Service Shutdown Notice Regarding Redbox Instant by Verizon

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 5 posts - Go to Last Post

For those of you that might care, either about the service itself or simply the achievements from the app, Redbox is cancelling it's Redbox Instant streaming service at midnight October 7th (October 8th). Basically, they couldn't compete with the services that they were up against, so they're shutting it down.

I think that they just tried too hard to compete with multiple services at the same time. Sure, you would get 4 free DVD rentals (that's just over half of the fee there: 4 X $1.20), but they were also trying to compete with streaming services like Netflix, Crackle, etc., and digital purchase/rental services like Xbox Video, etc. I think that this combination of services tied together served to make a more confusing site/app when trying to find what you wanted in a particular format.

I honestly believe that had they kept to only one online format, either rental/purchase or streaming subscription, they would have fared better. Plus the site / app would have been easier to use because the service would have been less convoluted.

From http://about.redboxinstant.com/news

Thank you for being a part of Redbox Instant by Verizon. Please be aware that the service will be shut down on Tuesday, October 7, 2014, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

Information on applicable refunds will be emailed to current customers and posted here on October 10.

In the meantime, you may continue to stream movies and use your Redbox kiosk credits until Tuesday, October 7 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

We apologize for any inconvenience and we thank you for the opportunity to entertain you.

Sincerely,
The Redbox Instant by Verizon Team

Web Refund FAQ

Questions and Answers

•Why is this happening?

The service is shutting down because it was not as successful as we hoped it would be. We apologize for any inconvenience and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to entertain you.

•Am I eligible for a monthly subscription fee refund?

We will be providing a full month’s subscription fee refund to customers who paid for, but only received a partial month of service. For example, if you paid the monthly subscription fee after September 8, 2014, you will automatically receive a full one month subscription fee refund to your payment card.

•How will I know when my refund arrives?

Please check your payment card statement on October 24, 2014. Refunds will appear as a payment card credit from either "REDBOXINSTNT*MONTHLY" or "REDBOXINSTNT*RENTBUY" and will reflect the amount noted in the email you will receive from us on October 10.

•What do I have to do to get my refund?

No action is required on your part to receive this refund. Your refund will be automatically applied to your payment card account no later than October 24, 2014. We’re trying to make this as easy for you as possible.

•The payment card I used for Redbox Instant by Verizon is no longer valid. How will I get my refund?

Even if a payment card is no longer valid for charges, it frequently can still accept refunds. We expect to complete all refunds no later than by October 24. Please check with your card issuer after that time.

•What happens to the Redbox kiosk rental credits included in my subscription?

You must use the disc rental credits included with your Redbox Instant by Verizon subscription before Tuesday, October 7 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. Please remember to do so.

•Can I still rent discs at Redbox?

You can continue to rent DVDs and Blu-ray Discs from Redbox for a low nightly fee.

•What happens to the Redbox Instant by Verizon app on my smartphone, tablet, gaming system smart TV, etc.?

The app will be inactive and you may delete it from your device. For help deleting an app, please click here.

•What happens to the movies I bought and stored in my digital locker?

We’re exploring options for customers who purchased electronic versions of on-demand movies. You’ll receive an email from us shortly, or you can check back here for an update in about two weeks. We appreciate your patience.

•Why can’t I download movies that I purchased?

We’re exploring options for customers who purchased electronic versions of on-demand movies. You’ll receive an email from us shortly, or you can check back here for an update in about two weeks. We appreciate your patience.

•I rented an on-demand movie but haven’t had a chance to watch it. What happens to the rental fee I paid?

We’re refunding all customers for streaming movie rentals that haven’t been watched and are within their 30-day viewing window as of Tuesday, October 7.

•My question wasn’t answered here. What now?

If you have further questions about Redbox Instant by Verizon or the deactivation of the service, please contact us online. Answers to questions about renting or returning discs can be found at the Redbox Help Center.
bad news, would be nice to see someone step up and give Netflix and Amazon some competition.
bad news, would be nice to see someone step up and give Netflix and Amazon some competition.
Originally Posted by Sith Rick
Hulu, Every Single Cable Service OnDemand, Xbox Video, Sony Entertainment Pass, Wii TV, Crackle...
Hulu, Every Single Cable Service OnDemand, Xbox Video, Sony Entertainment Pass, Wii TV, Crackle...
Originally Posted by futiles
none of those are the same type of thing
Streaming video service comprised of Television Programming, Feature Films, and Original content at various price ranges and service levels...

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account