The End of an Era? (MGS discussion)

Gaming Chat

Found 13 posts - Go to Last Post

The Storyline for the MGS Games?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 6 (13.04%) Ever wanted to create a religion called the La Le Lu Le Lo?

× 6 (13.04%) Compelling, Gritty, Edge of Seat. Can't wait for more!

× 3 (6.52%) A fairly decent, fresh and philosophical/political approach.

× 8 (17.39%) Nothing Special. Some things are good, others not, and overused.

× 4 (8.70%) Poor execution, with plot strings that trail off, with no potential...

× 12 (26.09%) No matter how much I drink, I can't fully understand or think it has any merit.

× 7 (15.22%) Ever felt like cutting yourself over a Game hoping the mental pain and confusion will go?

• Added 05-31-2008 07:06 PM
  • 46 votes
  • Votes are public
It seems someone decided to write a full and complete analysis on MGS2 (quite a while ago, in fact), perhaps known as the most convoluted and psychologically alluring game of all time, let alone the 2000 years.

Others consider it a mindrape, and thus drop the MGS series as a hopeless case.

In lieu of the knowledge that MGS4 is but 12 days (As of the 31st May) from it's epic global release, I figured many uninitiated Gamers would decide to miss it for... other, less compelling (shit) titles that seem more attractive, and require less background knowledge and thought.

This would be a huge, and unfortunate mistake. If most other game firms (Maybe not Square's Nomura team) had tried to make a series like MGS, it would have ended up with less focus on plot, and more on Snake's perverse nature and his God defying Mullet (Which can almost speak for itself as you serrupticiously peek around corners).

However, even if you're a Gamer who's in love with the series, and it's story, why not feel free to post here your opinions of the story, messages behind the Games, or even symbolism you found particularly appealing about the series. Or indeed, what you felt was particularly overdone or stupid in the series, as no endeavour is even 100% perfect.

Anyway, let's discuss one of the oldest and most popular Game series in the world. Feel free to post your musings on the well hidden plot of MGS4, or what you think will occur in the game itself!

It's so close, and so many Gamers are drooling about it. Let's find out why all you out there love the series (or indeed hate it), and what you expect from MGS4, or indeed any possibility of their being successor Games to it?

Let the discussions begin! Wink

Analysis of MGS2
Last edited 05-31-2008 at 07:13 PM by Killak.
Although this is the end of Kojima's brain child as we know it I doubt the games will die out. I have a feeling itll all continue in some way. could be wrong but its a big part of konami.
Yeah, I can see why you'd say that. However, I really think this may be the end of Snake's story. They've put the poor bastard through a lot, and from everything Kojima says, I think the Story of the S3 project, and Les Enfants Terrible will finally end. Liquid and Snake will have a showdown, and who knows how the story can be continued... but I feel it's very unlikely to be Snake as the protagonist. Maybe he'll be the advisor via Codec, but not the main character...
Hmmm... Watched a trailer... one of the lines Snake said was distinctly, "How much time do I have left?", after being told, "Your body's reached it's limit, Snake."

The doctor being in tears and unable to answer him seems to say it all really... He's finally going to fade into gaming legend.

Seems the ending of MGS4 may be good, but may leave a bitter taste in out mouths if our protagonist DOES indeed meet his end... IF he does die... at least let it be from a gunshot, not alone from FOXDIE. Or, if it is from FOXDIE, at least surrounded by those who admire and love him. Over my 15 years of Gaming, I've come to think of Snake as someone who's become a part of my growing up, and it'll be sad to see him go, I can honestly say.
Last edited 06-01-2008 at 02:19 PM by Killak.
I just hope we get some closure and really find out an ending. If that means he has to pop his clogs then fine but i have a feeling that might be left hanging.
MGS is my favorite game series of all time, easily, but I won't be too upset if if's discontinued for a while. Kojima is sure to work on something awesome. Hopefully he'll do to Snatcher what he did to Metal Gear.
MGS is my favorite game series of all time, easily, but I won't be too upset if if's discontinued for a while. Kojima is sure to work on something awesome. Hopefully he'll do to Snatcher what he did to Metal Gear.
Originally Posted by Abel
I agree that it's time Hideo Kojima made another amazing Game. I remember Z.O.E The Second Runner. What an amazing game that was...

The story was much simpler, but definitely full of Kojima's signature flair.
ZOE2 was amazing, yeah. I wouldn't mind another ZOE game, really.
it could be amazing with the capacity of the consoles we have now.
ZOE would be pretty orgasmic in HD, yeah. I have to admit that a large part of the appeal of ZOE was the graphical style.
ZOE would be pretty orgasmic in HD, yeah. I have to admit that a large part of the appeal of ZOE was the graphical style.
Originally Posted by Abel
Definitely... and with huge and gorgeously rendered arenas... it could truly be something great.

The Graphical excellence of MGS4 is obcene. Imagine that being applied to a Game like ZOE...

My God. It'd beat Crysis in terms of Graphics...
Last edited 06-01-2008 at 04:56 PM by Killak.
consoles can't handle crysis which is why we dont have it. however the people that made it are working on something for us.

Back to topic. i you watch some vid docs on MGS you will find that most of the games stem from the ones that came before.

Eg - many MGS1 scenes and events came from MG

MGS2- it was like a revival of MGS1 for want of a better phrase and even i could notice the similarities with little knowledge of the first.

Oceleot always survives and profits from the situation (can't we just kill him?) i read somewhere that he is also boss' (as seen in MGS3) child .

I'm not saying any of this is bad as it almost always feels fresh with new technology and 4 is entirely on it's own.

So far MGS2 remains my favourite in the series
The thing we need to see is that there are definitely going to be parallels, as it was meant to be a story that was connected on all levels. However, I really hope Kojima's NEXT work as director will be just as cinematic, just as dramatic, and just as action packed as the MGS series, no matter what he does.

I really see potential for Kojima to be remembered as the father of Next Gen. His skills and the way his games are executed are an example for all other directors, along with the likes of Tetsuya Nomura.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account