1406 Dashboard Update

Xbox One / Series X|S

Found 9 posts - Go to Last Post

I got access to the latest dashboard on one of my consoles just now. Doing the update.

Looking forward to external storage, as I picked up a 4TB USB3.0 HDD Wednesday night in preparation. Have a few things I am curious to try out, before I spend money on multiple 4TB drives for my consoles.

Fairly large update, compared to previous ones. About 300MB. But, that makes sense with changing a major portion of the file structure system.

As far as "real name" support, I am glad they are giving a global block to it. I hate that I have to reject it on each user request on my PS4.

*UPDATE*

Downloaded and applied. I can now share my real name (not happening), setup auto sign-in (I have a Kinect that is used and works, so, skipping for now), and use external storage (HOORAY!!)

When I logged in and went into my profile, I was asked if I wanted to share my real name. So, it is not defaulted one way or the other, it asks you, and you say yes, and process options, or no, and it is off.

When it booted up with my external drive connected, I immediately got the message, "I see that you have extended storage connected to this Xbox One. Set it up now?"

You get a little info on how extended storage works, how the drive is formatted for X1 use only, but will work on ANY X1 once formatted (so, you can take digital games and apps with you!), you can name it, and can set which storage is default install location for games and apps. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be able to say games on one location and apps another, yet. But, I will be making that suggestion shortly.

Also, once formatted (which was FAST, less than 60 seconds), you have to move each game/app individually to the new storage device. You can move all content associated with the game/app at once, but, each title is a separate step. So Forza 5 and all DLC was one command to move, but Ryse and all DLC was another. Woul have been nice to say ALL GAMES...

*2ND UPDATE*

If you have a game that is NOT available as a digital download in your region (Games like Wolfenstein, DR3, and such are disc only in some regions) or is a game that is ONLY on disc (currently Skylanders: Swap Force is only available as an on disc purchase, since the accessory is needed), that game SHOULD NOT be moved from Internal to External storage. If you do, you will no longer be able to manage the game, as the transfer must somehow use the market in the transfer, and those games move, but seem to go into a limbo state between devices.

You should either leave the game on the current storage device, or uninstall and reinstall to the new location.
Last edited 05-27-2014 at 04:31 AM by futiles.
I assume you can't use only part of a drive? I already have an external I use for backups, but it would be a bonus if I didn't have to dedicate an entire drive to X1 storage in the event that I need it.
I assume you can't use only part of a drive? I already have an external I use for backups, but it would be a bonus if I didn't have to dedicate an entire drive to X1 storage in the event that I need it.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
My thoughts exactly, I have a 4tb external and would hate to loose all my pics and music if it completely reformats it.
As of right now, it is all or none. So, if you want extra storage on an X1, you need to dedicate a drive to the X1.

Personally, I would NEVER use a drive that stored important information, like backups or music/pictures, in a dual mode like this. The the drive reads/writes, the more likely it is to fail. And failures would be the entire drive, not just the partition.
I've got a drive I'm looking to use, not 4TB, but I worry that it's not USB 3.0. I don't want to have to buy a third damn external drive, but I might have to. (I already have one I'm pretty sure is too old to be compatible).
I've got a drive I'm looking to use, not 4TB, but I worry that it's not USB 3.0. I don't want to have to buy a third damn external drive, but I might have to. (I already have one I'm pretty sure is too old to be compatible).
Originally Posted by Kaens
Will not work with any drive less than USB3.0 as well as any drive less than 256GB.

USB 3.0 is needed to run games off of the drive. Not only is 3.0 (up to) 10x faster than 2.0, it allows simultaneous read/write in both directions.
Yeah I know the limitations, I just don't know what mine is =P
What is the best HDD for xbox one?
What is the best HDD for xbox one?
Originally Posted by QuiCkz Ninja
I like my WD My Book Live. Seagate is also a good choice.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account