Activision: Call of Duty: Ghosts has shipped $1 billion worth into retail

Gaming Chat

Found 6 posts - Go to Last Post

The video game industry is now a battle of billion dollar launches, with Activision announcing this morning that Call of Duty: Ghosts has shipped a billion dollars worth of the game into retail. The semi-awkward victory lap comes on the day Activision is set to announce its second quarter results.

"Call of Duty is by far the largest console franchise of this generation," said Activision CEO Bobby Kotick as part of the announcement – a very, very accurate assessment. "And in the last 12 months, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, including its digital content, generated more revenues than any other console game ever has in a single year. Although it is too early to assess sell-through for Call of Duty: Ghosts, it's launching at a time when the franchise has never been more popular."

The billion dollar mark was likely chosen to contrast the game's accomplishment with that of Grand Theft Auto 5, which sold $1 billion at retail in three days. Call of Duty: Ghosts was the "most pre-ordered" game at GameStop this year.
Holy crap. Didn't get my money though!!! HAHAHAHAHA

I'll buy it soon enough, like everyone else...
"Shipped into retail" just means it's sitting on shelves. They wanted to try and outdo GTA5 so companies play these word games.
"Shipped into retail" just means it's sitting on shelves. They wanted to try and outdo GTA5 so companies play these word games.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Excellent point and I agree, that is like the movie industry saying they have the #1 comedy this week, meanwhile Iron Man 3 made 4 time the money. The whole release sounds desperate to appease shareholders with the word Billion as a spin since they did not outsell GTA.

As far as generating the most money from a single game, sure they have that since they are charging you double the price of a game with the season pass. As for me and CoD: Ghosts, they can keep it, I will be passing on it.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account