Possible solution to minimize abuse

Feature Requests

Found 36 posts - Go to Last Post

Do you support this ask?

(You may not vote on this poll)

× 25 (47.17%) Yes, I agree with Kaens.

× 7 (13.21%) No, <see comment below>

× 21 (39.62%) Poll - I'm here for it, not even bothering to read what Kaens said

• Added 08-17-2015 07:59 PM
  • 53 votes
sorry then, I just gave an idea....
Originally Posted by Mardagg
And it isn't that it is a bad idea, per se. It is that it is a good idea for a site with a robust, and active, moderation team, which GTN does not have.
Most places also rely on the support of reporting to avoid such situations. To take sub-standard reviews as an example, it's much better to allow them to be reported by anyone rather than have staff examine every submission first. Then the queue is made up of reports rather than all content submitted, be it good or bad.

You can also incorporate other ideas on top of these systems, like some of the ones you all have mentioned, as well as daily limits or minimum requirements.
Most places also rely on the support of reporting to avoid such situations. To take sub-standard reviews as an example, it's much better to allow them to be reported by anyone rather than have staff examine every submission first. Then the queue is made up of reports rather than all content submitted, be it good or bad.

You can also incorporate other ideas on top of these systems, like some of the ones you all have mentioned, as well as daily limits or minimum requirements.
Originally Posted by Obsidian Tides
That's why I was trying to the rating system to hide the stuff. I do like the daily limits as well, that would slow things down.
Personally I hate restrictions. It is one of the reasons I like it here, there are almost no limitations.
And the price for premium in in my humble opinion too high. If it were $10 per year, I might consider it,$30 is too expensive for the few extra's you get. Besides the website is too slow or too many times down to pay such amount. I know that you can use the donations/premium accounts to improve.
Example that in no way reflects an actual situation:

futiles is tired of Kaens's spam, on the forums, on the comments, on the whatever. futiles clicks a little cog, or hyperlink, or whatever, next to Kaens's name, or on his page, or by his post, or where ever, and selects "block user" or "ignore user" or "hide user" or any syntax to that effect. Now, GTN, through the magic of code literally makes Kaens disappear to futiles. futiles does not see his posts, does not see his comments, does not see his "solutions" and futiles is happy. Kaens is happy, because he can spam away, causing page hits, views, badges awarded. As other people grow tired of Kaens, they also hide him. As other people join in to Kaens's shenanigans, they get hidden. But, no one has to deal with the garbage from another user.

So, in the above example, futiles may block Kaens, but he may never say in public that he has blocked Kaens. Discussing publicly your block list is a banning offense.
Originally Posted by futiles
I'm just going to leave this here, a thread started 06-20-2014, 9 days after joining this site:
http://www.gamertagnation.com/featur...m-filters.html
I'm just going to leave this here, a thread started 06-20-2014, 9 days after joining this site:
http://www.gamertagnation.com/featur...m-filters.html
Originally Posted by Dacoto
And I agreed with it. I have actually thrown this same idea out before, specifically tagging BGG as the inspiration for it.
And I agreed with it. I have actually thrown this same idea out before, specifically tagging BGG as the inspiration for it.
I know you did. But here we are, a year later, still having the same discussion. Same shit different day. The problem hasn't changed, just the people committing it. If we would have been listened to back then, instead of being shut down(and then forced to fight spam with spam) we'd all be happier now.
It's not a matter of being listened to, it's just that the only one who can make the call and successfully implement it would be Eric, and his schedule doesn't always spare him the time to get under the hood of the site. You might have noticed he's had the chance to address a lot of the 5.0 bugs lately, but there's always something to be done. Perhaps you can send him a PM directly if you'd like the potential feature to get a bit more attention, but please be understanding if he doesn't prioritize it.
It's not a matter of being listened to, it's just that the only one who can make the call and successfully implement it would be Eric, and his schedule doesn't always spare him the time to get under the hood of the site. You might have noticed he's had the chance to address a lot of the 5.0 bugs lately, but there's always something to be done. Perhaps you can send him a PM directly if you'd like the potential feature to get a bit more attention, but please be understanding if he doesn't prioritize it.
I'm sorry, but I see that the other way. I see that he put time into a project that wasn't really needed (5.0) instead of possible features he actually expressed an interest in implementing and marked as planned, but either forgot about, ignored, gave up on, or just lost interest in. So, it is a matter of being listened to. Someone requested a feature, Eric said "ok, maybe" and gave us, a reskin. That's cool, it's his site, but, users can complain. Especially users that have tried to be helpful.
Indeed, nothing wrong with reminders. If it wasn't clear, I have no problems with you bringing it up regularly. If anything, it's encouraged.
Yep, we need a few more staff members to help out around here. Which has been said before...
Originally Posted by Preludecris
And it seems like it will be repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....ect.
Honestly, Eric should think about getting more staff members for the site. Just having four individuals moderate the forums is a complete joke in my opinion. No offense to the individuals helping everyone but with the lack of appropriate staff members it seems like Eric doesn't really trust anyone with his baby. In all honestly he needs to stop trying to do everything by himself and allow people to help him.

And it isn't that it is a bad idea, per se. It is that it is a good idea for a site with a robust, and active, moderation team, which GTN does not have.
I'm afraid that GTN will never have a robust, and active moderation team if Eric won't select or open an application process for people to apply.
The balance between staff and active members is usually fine, it's tech staff that are especially in demand. Most of the forums I've seen over the years would have benefited from having an additional tech admin.
If you know of anyone capable of working on a customized vbulletin board who is willing to volunteer, you're always welcome to recommend them.
forum abuse needs to be addressed as well this why i havent posted in ages cause ppl r always attacking n belittling each other we r all after the same goals to get achievements n have fun doing it but most of yall have forgot that too many ppl with negative opinions n smart attitudes remain on this site n thats why im not active its not worth my time to get into any arguements with any1
forum abuse needs to be addressed as well this why i havent posted in ages cause ppl r always attacking n belittling each other we r all after the same goals to get achievements n have fun doing it but most of yall have forgot that too many ppl with negative opinions n smart attitudes remain on this site n thats why im not active its not worth my time to get into any arguements with any1
Originally Posted by ky pro 2008
I don't see your assessment as very fair. I don't see people always attacking and belittling each other. Most of it is good old fashion fun trash talking sprinkled with the occasional misunderstanding. I think some people get easily bated into arguments. If you think your being attacked you can start by addressing the situation to the person or persons in a civil manner. Arguments escalate way too fast for really dumb reasons, I understand that. Heck I have even got caught up in a few myself. If you still think your being attacked just ignore any snide comments and bring them to a staff members attention. Sometimes you have to let people make themselves look like asses.
The balance between staff and active members is usually fine, it's tech staff that are especially in demand. Most of the forums I've seen over the years would have benefited from having an additional tech admin.
If you know of anyone capable of working on a customized vbulletin board who is willing to volunteer, you're always welcome to recommend them.
Well, If I did know of anyone who could work behind the curtains and was willing to do it as a volunteer I would be more then happy to send them this way. Unfortunately, I do not know of anyone who could work behind the curtains and if I did they more then likely would not be willing to do it as a volunteer. I have done some server side work when I was going to college and I also did Web design and PHP in high school. But I have not asked Eric if I could help as I would more then likely cause more problems which I would like to avoid.

Okey, it was just an idea, and it doesnt Always has to be extra job. (been both administrator and moderator on forums and sites so I know what im talking about) its all on how you make the system. I dont know which forum system thats working below this one. Im mainly used to work with Vbulletin myself.
Edit: I found out that you are using VB5 Big Grin
Originally Posted by Mardagg
You could maybe ask Mardagg if he would be willing to help as he says he has done stuff behind the curtain before.
You know what's awesome? Having the original reason the thread from a year ago was started resurface. It's like forum herpes. We need some fucking digital Valtrex up in this bitch.

Or, the status quo: "sucks to be you, it's not spam. Clicks are clicks, views are views"

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account