Found 33 posts - Go to Last Post

So, Kudo just clarified himself on Spike TV E3 interview. "You can stream your Xbox One games, THROUGH Windows 10, to the Oculus Rift."
Originally Posted by futiles
Or, just play them on your 65" HDTv?
Or, just play them on your 65" HDTv?
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Well, to be fair, a Virtual Theater screen is going to feel more like playing on a 100" or larger screen. Depending on settings and what OR allows, it could feel like playing on the 200" Full Digital screen at the local AMC down the road.
Well, to be fair, a Virtual Theater screen is going to feel more like playing on a 100" or larger screen. Depending on settings and what OR allows, it could feel like playing on the 200" Full Digital screen at the local AMC down the road.
I used to play on my 120" projector. Even at that size it was impossible to read the text in Dead Rising. Seriously, it was overrated and I was having to replace $300 bulbs every 9-12 months. Now I prefer a nice 60-65" with good refresh rate and color depth. To each his/her own.
I used to play on my 120" projector. Even at that size it was impossible to read the text in Dead Rising. Seriously, it was overrated and I was having to replace $300 bulbs every 9-12 months. Now I prefer a nice 60-65" with good refresh rate and color depth. To each his/her own.
Originally Posted by Kaens
Have you played on a 120Hz or higher projector though? Have you used a Christie Projector at 200" for a game? There is a difference between a theater experience and a consumer experience. And it isn't like the virtual cinema in the Oculus is going to have you change virtual bulbs in a virtual projector (although, I am a bit twisted, and I think that would be HILARIOUS if they did that. I would laugh so long and so hard at having to go open the virtual case, remove the virtual bulb, virtually order a new one, wait for virtual shipping, virtually instal it, then play).

I bet if you took your console to the local cinema, hooked into their digital system, and played on one of the screens, you would have a different opinion than your home projector.
Nope, this was probably 2002-08 I had this set up. A Christie projector? Hell no, I'm not made of money, christ man. And after someone posted a picture of people playing Halo at the movie theatre I've been desperately trying to think of a way to justify doing that myself. I just need the right game.
Nope, this was probably 2002-08 I had this set up. A Christie projector? Hell no, I'm not made of money, christ man. And after someone posted a picture of people playing Halo at the movie theatre I've been desperately trying to think of a way to justify doing that myself. I just need the right game.
Well, THAT is what Oculus Rift's virtual cinema is going to feel like. A theater.

Is now a bad time to mention that I am sitting in a room with 24 Christie projectors?
Well, THAT is what Oculus Rift's virtual cinema is going to feel like. A theater.

Is now a bad time to mention that I am sitting in a room with 24 Christie projectors?
It's probably the only time you can do it without seeming like you are bragging Wink
It's probably the only time you can do it without seeming like you are bragging Wink
Only 6 more weeks, though. Job change. Leaving video acquisition, and heading to home automation.
Depends on how close you sit to your TV. You're advocating just strapping it on to your face.

I will watch and see, I don't feel the tradeoff of having gear on your head for a long period would be worth it. The tech will get better.
Depends on how close you sit to your TV. You're advocating just strapping it on to your face.

I will watch and see, I don't feel the tradeoff of having gear on your head for a long period would be worth it. The tech will get better.
I do think it is going to be a limited market, no matter what. Each particular feature is nice, and combined, I think they are worth more than the sum of their parts. And I really don't know if they tech is quite ready for the mass market, yet, because it is still big. But, there are plenty of situations I see someone jumping on this.

Kaens's wanting to play while his wife wants him nearby.
A bachelor/bachelorette living alone, or with non-romantic roommates, in a small apartment with limited space/funds for a proper gaming setup.
A technophile that just likes to play with new stuff. (God, I hate being "that guy" sometimes.)

Honestly, the HoloLens Minecraft presentation has just about sold me on one of those over the Oculus Rift.
I'm down for Hololens if they can keep it under $300, that might be tough.

I really hope VR gains enough traction. Remember when 3D TVs were all the fad....
I'm down for Hololens if they can keep it under $300, that might be tough.

I really hope VR gains enough traction. Remember when 3D TVs were all the fad....
I really thought I read $200 somewhere. Not sure where.

*EDIT* Seems like that was when it was expected to be an accessory. With it being its own platform, I would expect much higher.
Last edited 06-16-2015 at 12:03 AM by futiles.
I really thought I read $200 somewhere. Not sure where.

*EDIT* Seems like that was when it was expected to be an accessory. With it being its own platform, I would expect much higher.
Well, if they can, beating the VR rush will help. Without the software, it won't matter. Having Minecraft on board is a big anchor for it though.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account