Challenges By Rarity

Feature Requests

Found 14 posts - Go to Last Post

Can we get a little widget on the right that shows our challenges by rarity like we have for achievements? That'd be cool. Thanks!
People do challenges? I guess some of you do. Curious how many people would find rarity useful for challenges when they end up being fairly rare in most cases.
People do challenges? I guess some of you do. Curious how many people would find rarity useful for challenges when they end up being fairly rare in most cases.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
Many people do challenges. Smrnov lead in most at one point, but now doesnt. As there is no point value assessed to them many do not bother doing them. Yet I believe they are quite fun to accomplish, I don't try as hard with them as achievements though.
I'm with the meh crowd on this... I don't really care for challenges and think they should just be reassessed by MS, Either give them a value or do away with hem or make them DLC or something..
I'm with the meh crowd on this... I don't really care for challenges and think they should just be reassessed by MS, Either give them a value or do away with hem or make them DLC or something..
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
Eric gave value to them, so think of it kind of like a bitcoin. If we all believe it has value, then maybe it will.
Seems like some of the first releases had a butt load of challenges, now it seems every game I buy now doesn't have any challenges Frown
Seems like some of the first releases had a butt load of challenges, now it seems every game I buy now doesn't have any challenges Frown
Originally Posted by Preludecris
Ultimately it's up the publishers... It is a cheap way to extend the longevity for publishers.

Although some are quite challenging, or time consuming. In Mordor, I have to kill 5 Rancors, 50 Terror Dogs and 100 wretches...
Sunset overdrive has a shit ton! some are easy and some seem near impossible. The community ones seem to unlock as long as you have at least one of whatever it is....Im only going for them for the badges here
Eric gave value to them, so think of it kind of like a bitcoin. If we all believe it has value, then maybe it will.
Originally Posted by Fshguy
I never though of it that way.. and I do need some more badges...
Wouldn't rarity be hard to judge? If I buy a game a year later, wouldn't that make all the year one challenges instantly more rare, as they are now closed to me?

And Dead Rising had the most interesting challenges, so far, as they gave you in game content for finishing...
Wouldn't rarity be hard to judge? If I buy a game a year later, wouldn't that make all the year one challenges instantly more rare, as they are now closed to me?

And Dead Rising had the most interesting challenges, so far, as they gave you in game content for finishing...
Originally Posted by futiles
I think that wouldn't be hard to judge at all, because they have a time on it. Think of it like a limited edition toy or comic/chase variant cover.. or a rare recording of an artist that no one has, they only made/make so many of them so when they are out that's it.. and that's why the value goes up on most of that stuff. I think that would be the same as a digital challenge.
I think that wouldn't be hard to judge at all, because they have a time on it. Think of it like a limited edition toy or comic/chase variant cover.. or a rare recording of an artist that no one has, they only made/make so many of them so when they are out that's it.. and that's why the value goes up on most of that stuff. I think that would be the same as a digital challenge.
Originally Posted by B8TINGU
So, you are proving my point with my exact same example, but then using a poor analogy.

The rarity on this site is number of gamers with achievement/challenge compared to the number of gamers with the game. As people get the game after challenges are closed off, those past challenges are going to automatically become more rare, with a falsely inflated value.

The music example is poor, though. Rare recordings can be duplicated, and, as is common practice, they are. So, the original might be rare, the actual music is not. The recording never becomes more or less rare though. It is what it is.

To properly determine challenges, the math would need to be the number of gamers to unlock a challenge versus the number of gamers to play the game during the challenge availability window. Then once the challenge is over, the rarity of that challenge is finalized.
To properly determine challenges, the math would need to be the number of gamers to unlock a challenge versus the number of gamers to play the game during the challenge availability window. Then once the challenge is over, the rarity of that challenge is finalized.
Originally Posted by futiles
Still difficult with the tracking we have here. I can play a game without getting achievements and it won't be picked up. Or say I played Sunset Overdrive, then I stopped playing cause I sent it back to Gamefly. Should I could for that period after I sent it back? Or if say it's Kaens, he'll play a game to get the achievements he wants to get, but say Magic 2015 where he has all of the achievements, but he still gets challenges(or doesn't to suit the scenario better), how do we count him. In which case, we skew the numbers to the other way.

I think most games will end up with a smaller audience over time. So, if we're only counting the audience that is playing at that time.

So, either the challenges are going to end up being pretty rare with current formula, or relatively common with this option. They should probably be measured somewhere in between.
It's not that complicated. If you bought the game, played the game, you count. Same as any achievement. I can go buy Chromehounds right now and get max of 240 out of it. Shit happens, you didn't buy the game early enough, tough shit, you don't get the challenges. You only buy sports games after they are less than $5 and the servers are shut down, tough shit.

DLC is the only thing counted differently and that's because it requires an additional purchase. I have SOOO many achievements on my tag I will never give a shit about because they are multiplayer time sinks, they count against me. And many of those have inflated values because the only people with them boost them.

Already have an account? Login here

Login to your account